Is there anything better than returning to your campsite after a day in the sun to a hot dinner ready to go?
With your Wonderbag as your camping companion, this is not only possible - it's super simple! Nobody wants to spend their camping trip slaving over a gas burner or camp fire - for easy camp cooking, just bust out a Wonderbag and let this invention do the hard yards.
Perfect For Your Camp Oven
Let me take you through how your camp oven and your Wonderbag play together to make the ultimate camp special.
Start in the morning by using your camp oven to brown your spices, add the coconut milk and bring your curry to a boil. Leave that safely cooking away at your campsite all day, developing a rich and flavoursome base.
When you return with your fresh catch, simply fillet and cube your fish, pop the camp oven back on the fire and add your fish. Bing it back to boil and simmer for 10 minutes, then place back in your Wonderbag.
Leave in your Wonderbag for 40 minutes before eating, which coincidently is the same time it takes to cook your side of rice!
How to adapt this easy camping meal for the kids
Many of you will be cooking for your family and the Wonderbag is perfect for this. But, if you have fussy kids, Spicy Fish Curry might not sound like the best family meal. But with a few little hacks, you can totally serve this delicious dish up to the kids. Of course, if you have kids that will happily eat anything, then serve it up as you would for an adult. If not, check out our ideas here:
- Make sure you don't use a hot chilli powder in the recipe - or if you're not sure, leave it out completely and add chilli to each individual serve to taste.
- Omit or halve the curry leaves - they add a great flavour but might not be to every kids taste!
- Have the kids involved in every step of getting the fish from the ocean to the fire - if they're anything like mine this won't a be task!
This curry is creamy and delicious whether is super chilli or mild. With these few alterations you can make this dish a family favourite whilst camping, or at home!
An Easy Dinner to Prepare in Your Camp Kitchen
Let's face it - camp cooking can be pretty primitive depending where you pull up for a night!
To aid in the prep process, I fill small zip-lock bags at home. Pop the required spices in one, and the prepared chillis/curry leaves in another. If cooking the next morning from departing home you could even chop the onion/garlic/ginger and pop in a bag.
I can guarantee you if your family is anything like mine they'll tell you:
“This is the best way I've had this fish!”
“I don't know how I ever camped without a Wonderbag!”
Spicy Fish Curry & Wonderbag Rice Recipe
What You'll Need
- 1kg fish fillets, cubed
- 1 large brown onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 5x green chilli sliced thinly
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 1tsp curry powder
- 2x dried red chillis, chopped into pieces
- 400ml Coconut milk
- 250ml chicken stock
- 2x tomatoes, finely chopped
- To serve:
- Wonderbag Rice
- Fresh coriander
- Dried Shallot
- Brown onions, garlic, ginger, fresh chilli in some oil on camp oven.
- Add dried spices and curry leaves, stir until fragrant
- Add coconut milk, stock and tomatoes
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes
- Pop in your Wonderbag for the day
- 40 minutes prior to eating, add the fish and return camp oven to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put back in the bag for 30-60 minutes
- Serve topped with dried shallot, fresh coriander and with your Wonderbag Rice.