If you're looking for an easy after work dinner that you can prepare the night before ... or maybe a dish that will wow the table at your next dinner party - then this is the dish for you!
Yes, that's right, this clever and versatile dish ticks all the boxes. And of course, it's super simple to create with your equally clever Wonderbag!
Perfect For Those Busy Weeks
This recipe is the perfect dish to prepare on a Sunday (it's the best day to do all your meal prep, right?). You can pop all the ingredients in Step 1 into your pot and then pop into your fridge. When you get up on Monday morning, just boil the pot and then pop into your Wonderbag before you leave for work. Your Vietnamese Beef Brisket will be piping hot and delicious when you arrive home. All you'll have to do is pop the rice on (and you can totally do that in your Wonderbag too - see instructions further down).
The best thing is, unlike traditional slow cookers, the Wonderbag will not make your veges mushy. The corn, capsicum and beans stay crunchy. Sound delicious? Read on!
Making Vietnamese Beef Brisket Kid Friendly
Many of you will be cooking for your family and the Wonderbag is perfect for this. But, if you have fussy kids, Vietnamese Beef Brisket might not sound like the best family meal. But with a few little hacks, you can totally serve this delicious dish up to the kids. Of course, if you have kids that will happily eat anything, then serve it up as you would for an adult. If not, check out our ideas here:
- Make sure you don't use a hot chilli in the recipe - or if you're not sure, leave it out completely and add chilli to each individual serve to taste.
- Serve younger children in a deconstructed way - so a serve of rice, some meat (with as little or loads of sauce depending on your child) and then serve some raw vege along with it - you could just keep some of the veggies from this dish aside. Kids love baby corn, capsicum and perhaps some snow peas instead of snake beans).
- Let them try to eat with chopsticks to make it a fun mealtime experience (you can even get kids chopsticks from homewares stores).
- Get the kids to help you prepare this meal to get them interested in trying some new foods - they can help to chop the vege, measure ingredients and even make sure your Wonderbag is ready to use!
These are small things that won't really take any more time, but might just mean that you get to serve up this dish as a family favourite. Got to be happy with that!
An Amazing Dinner with a Clean Kitchen
This dish is definitely more flavoursome if you prepare the pot the night before and then boil and bag in the morning. It enables everything to marinate and let's the flavours really develop. The best thing about this cooking method is you will have a clean kitchen, alongside an amazing meal, which means that you can actually sit down and enjoy your dinner!
People have said:
“Love this as a before work boil and bag and a great dish for entertaining”
“I’m not a fan of slow cooking but this is not what I thought that was!”
Vietnamese Beef Brisket & Wonderbag Rice Recipe
What You'll Need
1.5kg Beef Brisket, trimmed and diced in 5cm pieces
1 large brown onion, sliced
3 cloves of garlic crushed
1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
1 long red chilli sliced thinly
2 sticks lemongrass – halved lengthways
2 fresh kaffir lime leaves
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
2 Tbls grated palm sugar
1/4cup fish sauce
¼ cup dark soy sauce
3 cups beef stock
1 large red capsicum, chopped coarsely
125g baby corn, halved
150g snake beans, chopped coarsely
- Combine beef, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, lemon grass, star anise, cinnamon, sugar, sauces and stock together
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add the capsicum, corn and beans and bring back to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pop in your Wonderbag for 8 hours.
- Serve topped with loads of fresh coriander and fresh chilli to taste, alongside your Wonderbag rice.
How To Win at Rice
Does your rice always end up gluggy ... or worse, grainy and crunchy? Did you know that you can cook amazingly perfect rice in your Wonderbag? Seriously, it's so simple and will change the way that cook rice forever!
There are so many advantages to cooking your rice in your Wonderbag. It's totally portable, so you can take it anywhere and do the fluff and serve part wherever you need to. You won't get a crusty or grainy bottom like some electrical rice cookers do. Basically, this is never fail rice! And that's got to be a win.
Wonderbag Rice Method
1. Double the water to rice ratio (for this size serve do 1.5 cups rice, 3 cups water).
2. Wash the rice thoroughly.
3. You can add some oil at this stage (coconut oil would work well for this dish)
4. Bring to boil, simmer for 5 minutes.
5. At 5 minutes put in the Wonderbag and set timer for 40 minutes, ‘
6. The most important part is here FLUFF AT FORTY!
You can then serve then or pop it quickly back in the bag until you want to serve at a later date.
If you haven't yet purchased your Wonderbag(s) then this duo would be the perfect bundle to cook this dish in. You can put the Vietnamese Beef Brisket in the large and the rice in the small one. Purchase your bundle here.
Join Our Closed Facebook Group!
We’d love to know your fave way of enjoying this dish – why not come and join our closed Facebook Group “Wonderbaggers” to share your fave recipes and learn all the tips and tricks we use to make the Wonderbag part of our everyday family life. You can even show us a photo of your Vietnamese Beef Brisket!