Wonderbag Roast Chicken - The Meal with No Waste
Have you thought about roasting a whole chicken in your Wonderbag, but thought it might be impossible given it's slow cooking method? Well, we are here to tell you that it's not only entirely possible, but it needs to be the next meal you cook in your Wonderbag. It's so incredibly easy, portable and delicious!
Take Your Wonderbag Roast Chicken Anywhere
Imagine this ... it's a lazy morning and after a leisurely cooked brekkie, you load the family into the car and head to your fave beach ready for a day of fun by the ocean. The kids are super excited about building a fire on the beach. And you're thinking, what can we do for a quick easy dinner on the sand ... that doesn't involve take away food? Enter the Wonderbag Roast Chicken!
You can prepare your roast chicken in just a few minutes in the morning and have it slowly roasting in the Wonderbag while you're enjoying the salty air and cool water.
Instead of rushing to build the fire to cook dinner on, you can leisurely collect some wood - an adventure the kids are sure to love!
A Dish with No Limits
There are loads of ways to enjoy your Roast Chicken, but if you've headed to the beach or you're camping, it's very easy to serve with some salad or fresh bread rolls.
If you're eating at home, a pot of roast veggies that you prepared with the chicken in the morning would be amazing, as would some flavoured Wonderbag rice!
You can enjoy the leftover Roast Chicken in lots of different ways - from a warm chicken salad to wraps for lunch - or even a pot of Chicken & Veggie soup, cooked in your Wonderbag of course!
Wonderbag Roast Chicken Recipe
4Tbl Olive oil
1 x lemon (quatered)
1 x bunch Basil leaves (at least a cup with stems removed)
3 x thyme sprigs, leaves only
6 x fresh garlic cloves
4 Tbl softened butter
1 x brown onion, halved and sliced
1x green, 1x red capsicum sliced – optional (my kids love capsicum!)
400g Tinned Tomatoes
2Tbl Tomato Paste
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
3TBl gravox mixed with ¼ cup water
- Wash and pat dry the chicken
- Inside the cavity, pop a quartered lemon, half the fresh basil leaves and 4 garlic cloves in the cavity.
- Combine the butter, 1x crushed garlic clove and 2 Tbl finely chopped basil or thyme and stuff the skin cavity with this mix. Dribble with oil and season. You can leave the chicken for 2 hours at this point to marinate or straight to the next step.
- Heat the olive oil in your pot and brown the chicken all over
- Remove the chicken from pot and brown onions and remaining garlic clove thinly sliced, and capsicum if you are adding
- Add remaining fresh basil, tinned tomato, white wine and the chicken stock
- Return the chicken to the pot and pop the lid on to bring to a boil
- Simmer for at least 30minutes – do 45 minutes if the chicken is 2kg or over.
- Leave it in the Wonderbag for 8 hours.
When ready to serve remove the chicken and return the stock to a heat source and add the gravox.
Take Your Chook Next Level
If you're trying to reduce your food waste and save some money on your weekly food budget, you might like to use your roast chicken carcass to make a pot of chicken and vegetable soup - in your Wonderbag of course!
Using your roast chicken carcass for soup means that the broth will not only be tasty, but also nutritious and you won't be throwing anything away!
If you haven't yet purchased your Wonderbag(s) then this duo would be the perfect bundle to cook this dish in. You can pop your Roast Chicken in the large Wonderbag and some rice or roast veggies in the small. Purchase your bundle here.
Join Our Closed Facebook Group!
We’d love to know your fave way of enjoying this dish – why not come and join our closed Facebook Group “Wonderbaggers” to share your fave recipes and learn all the tips and tricks we use to make the Wonderbag part of our everyday family life. You can even show us a photo of your Wonderbag Roast Chicken!